Skip to main content

JOURNEY TO BECOMING A FIERY RED HEAD...... FROM BLACKEST BLACK HAIR TO BRIGHT RED HAIR

Hello fellow readers,

So, I am no stranger to dying my hair a different color somewhat, but over the past 13 months I have literally changed my hair color every 3 odd months... crazy I know and not something I'd advised to do yourself.

But I have wanted what I love to call "Ariel Red Hair" referencing from the famous Disney Princess for the longest time, that bright pop of red just excites me. It is SO different and can make you facial features pop like you eye color as an example or your cheekbones can look softer or more harsh just depending.... all this just from what color hair you choose. absolutely!

Personally having very black hair, I have always been scared of bleaching my hair. I know the darker your hair color is the more damage you will have to go through to get your hair into the color you want it. Now I have done the ombre look with my hair, which in my case involved you guessed it bleaching the ends of my hair or the color just wouldn't show up. Over the years I have tried colouring my hair without bleaching it 1st and I was so tried of trying out hair dyes on my hair claiming they would show up even on black hair, and having my result only ever visible in the sun, where you could just see a "glow of color" on the hair. I was fed up with the glow effect and I wanted REAL color! The kinda color that you could see indoors and even in candle lighting, so yeah I was setting myself up for bright hair and also the party pooper to the party - damaged hair.

BEFORE       AND        AFTER 
-- NOTE: IF YOU ARE UNSURE OF DOING THIS YOURSELF AT HOME THEN PLEASE GET IT DONE PROFESSIONALLY --- THIS ARTICLE WAS WRITTEN FROM MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE -- F.Y.I: YOUR OUTCOME MIGHT BE DIFFERENT! --

My friend who's a freelance hair stylist had a plan for me that would involve using bleach. Yes! But a new one that came on to the market that hit drugstores this year from L'Oreal which is called Colorista Bleach. This is an oil powdered bleach that is Ammonia free, instead this bleach is powdered by oils (contains 700mg Potassium Persulfate & 100mg Sodium Persulfate)
It's a boxed bleaching kit so your getting everything you'd need within this kit for bleaching your hair. This bleach from L'Oreal claims it will lighten your hair up to 8 levels of lightening, so it will work even on brunettes. So if you have very black hair like I did at the time then it did about a 6(ish) levels in the lightening process for me personally with some areas turing out slightly lighter.

-- PLEASE BE SURE TO DO A PATCH TEST 48 HOURS BEFORE BLEACHING YOUR HAIR BEFORE HAND OR CONSULT A HAIR STYLIST IF YOUR UNSURE!!!! --

After you are ready and you've gone though the safety steps your ready to get bleaching, mix everything together as per the instructions list supplied within the Colorista box. Apply to your hair... now my stylist friend started from the bottom of my hair and worked up to the crown of my hair, as the bleaching processes works more quickly on the top part of your head. So applying it to the bottom half of your hair 1st gives this part a "jump start" on the processing time, as this section takes a little longer to bleach, generally. For my hair just as a reference I waited 35 minutes for the bleach to have done it's best work. As per the box it says you can go up to 45 minutes if needed but NO longer. And also be sure to have your hair "drenched" in the bleach meaning be sure not to have a thin layer of bleach over your hair as your hair might not bleach light enough if the hair is not covered well enough and you'll be left with to many patches of your "darker" hair.

After the bleach had done it's work, it was rinsed out gently with cool water, not cold and please don't wash the bleach out with HOT water that will only potentially hurt your scalp and cause more hair damage as the hair is now fragile. Gently helping the water flow though the hair the bleach rinses out within in about 5 minutes. Then the Brass-Defy Conditioner was added and left in for 15 minutes, then once again my hair was gently rinsed under the cool water.
TIP: Don't scrub the scalp either you don't need to be rough with your hair!

Okay! so now that the bleach and conditioner was completely washed out, it was towel dried gently and then a nourishing hair oil was applied to my hair for a few minutes and allowed to soak in before my hair could be combed. At this point your left with light orange or bright orange hair depending on how much the bleach had lightened your hair... for me this was bright orange!

Right!! now what?.... well if your using a hair dye that is permanent chances are it will contain ammonia or other harsh dyes / chemicals. So to be safe wait 3 to 5 days before going in with that hair dye. If your using a semi-permanent color dye then 24hrs / 48hrs wait is fine. I waited 24 hours personally before going in with Schwarzkoft LIVE colour Ultra Brights in Pillar Box Red, this color will give you that "Ariel hair" that I mentioned before. This dye comes pre-mixed so it's just a case of applying it to your hair and waiting 5 minutes for a subtle pastel color, 10 minutes for an intense pastel color OR up to 30 minutes for the full intense bright color, which is what I did and then I once again I gently washed the color out and I did let my hair air dye to minimised damaging it from the extra heat styling.

PLEASE NOTE: That if your using this on pre-bleached hair the likely out come will be brighter then if your say applying it to natural blonde hair. As the hair shaft is open the color will deposit and process more quickly. I'd imagine this goes for most of the bight colors in this range!

TIP: Apply a little Vasaline to your ears, neck and around your hairline with coloring and bleaching to stop irritation and dye color staining. 

So what is the result I got from this process, personally.... well here is the picture to show you.

I have also filmed a video sharing "extras" that was done to my hair, and also sharing my favorite haircare products including some "miracle" hair oils and hair masks that do bring your damaged hair some much needed relief and makes your hair healthier again. 
VIDEO LINK: https://youtu.be/iEX4CcJibqU

Thank you for your time reading and watching the video!

Until my next post,
Good-luck and Hugs Erica xx

-- NOTE: IF YOU ARE UNSURE OF DOING THIS YOURSELF AT HOME THEN PLEASE GET IT DONE PROFESSIONALLY --- THIS ARTICLE WAS WRITTEN FROM MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE -- F.Y.I: YOUR OUTCOME MIGHT BE DIFFERENT! --

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BLOG REVIEW: Schwarzkopf Perfect Mousse Hair Color

REVIEW - Sleek iDivine Eyeshadow Palette's & Primer Palette

WHAT'S IN? | My Travel Makeup \ Beauty Bag 2015